Beryl Wilson Austrade Scholarship for Women in International Business
The Beryl Wilson Austrade Scholarship for Women in International Business is for women enrolled full time or part time in the final year of a coursework Master’s degree, in international business or related field, or a Master of Business Administration with an international business specialisation.
The scholarship is not available to students undertaking a Master’s degree by research.
Austrade invites applications for the 2016 Beryl Wilson Austrade Scholarship for Women in International Business.
Applications close on 31 January 2016.
Austrade established the Beryl Wilson Scholarship for Women in International Business in 2013 in recognition of Mrs Beryl Wilson, the first woman to be appointed as a trade commissioner in 1963. Beryl Wilson was appointed as Assistant Trade Commissioner in the Los Angeles office in 1963. She was later appointed the Deputy Director of the Department of Trade and Industry (now the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade).
The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage, support and advance the involvement of women in international business. The scholarship will also contribute towards building Asia-capable staff and leaders.
Austrade will award one (1) scholarship each year.
The value of the scholarship is up to $40,000 for full-time study and will be pro-rated for a part-time recipient
The scholarship funds will reimburse the award recipient’s tuition fees, study materials and other expenses incurred in undertaking the course of study.
The award recipient will have the opportunity to:
- contribute to and be supported by the Women in Global Business Program www.wigb.gov.au
- undertake six (6) weeks paid work experience with Austrade, either during or at the conclusion of her study, with no undertaking for subsequent employment.
To be eligible for the scholarship, an applicant must:
- be female
- be an Australian citizen
- be enrolled full-time in the final year of a master’s degree, by coursework, in international business or a Master of Business Administration with an international business specialisation
- have an Asian language.
The scholarship is awarded to the applicant showing the greatest merit, as demonstrated by:
- academic achievement in previous studies
- Asian language capability
- leadership and/or community service achievements
- potential for future success in international business.
The award recipient will hold the scholarship for one (1) year and she must achieve an average Distinction grade for each unit of study during the term of the scholarship.
The award recipient will be required to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that she will comply with the conditions of the scholarship. Participation in the paid work experience does not imply there will be an ongoing role within Austrade for the recipient.
Applications addressing the eligibility requirements and selection criteria must be accompanied by:
copy of Birth Certificate and, if born overseas, Australian Citizenship Certificate
- academic transcript for undergraduate degree
- evidence of acceptance into the final year of the master’s course
- names and details of two (2) referees
- evidence of Asian language capability
- evidence of workplace achievements, leadership and/or community service achievements
Applications for the 2016 Beryl Wilson Austrade Scholarship for Women in International Business close at 11:30pm AEST on Sunday 31 January 2016.