Over 140 Australian companies and major sporting event specialists have played pivotal roles shaping every major sporting event around the world since the Olympics in Sydney in 2000. This includes the Summer and Winter Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, FIFA and Rugby World Cup tournaments and the Asian Games.
This world-leading expertise spans across the range of sectors in the lifecycle of a major sporting event, which include:
- Event assessment
- Event bidding
- Strategic planning
- Governance and organisation structure development
- Venue design and construction (including master planning, overlay and non-competition infrastructure)
- Functional and operational planning services (including vocational, education and training)
- Event management and operations
- Cultural and ceremonies
- Product design and supply
Demonstrated global experience
Almost 50 Australian companies and specialists recently completed high-profile projects for the Olympics in London in 2012. Some of these projects included the iconic pink and blue synthetic hockey pitch, the innovative engineering behind the Olympic cauldron and the development and project management of the A$2.2 billion Olympic Village – now the most sustainable Olympic Village in history having been converted into 2,818 apartments.
So whether it’s designing the world’s fastest pool in China, managing eight of the 29 competition venues in London or redefining stadium design in Russia to allow football and cultural activities to be staged under the same roof; Australia’s recent track record remains diverse, tried, tested and proven, also demonstrated:
- Pyrotechnic provisions and special effects for Ceremonies – Rugby World Cup, New Zealand, 2011
- Emergency management assurance, policies and village operations – Commonwealth Games, India, 2010
- Roof construction of the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium – FIFA World Cup, South Africa, 2010
- Opening and Closing Ceremony Executive Producer / Artistic Director – Winter Olympics, Vancouver, 2010
- Planning and transfer of knowledge seminars – Asian Games, Guangzhou, 2010
- Audio director and designer of Ceremonies – Youth Olympic Games, Singapore, 2010
- Design of National Aquatic Centre (‘Water Cube’) – Olympic Games, Beijing, 2008
A distinguished track record
In 2000, the late Juan Antonio Samaranch, former President of the International Olympic Committee, declared the Sydney Olympics as “the best ever”. In doing so, he set the benchmark for all future sporting events and positioned Australia as the world-leader in major sporting event delivery.
Years later, Australian major sporting event specialists have helped stage, or are helping to stage, over 40 truly global sporting events. Those nations which have embraced Australian expertise have enhanced their global image, developed sustainable infrastructure and have achieved positive social outcomes such as higher participation in sport and education, which have led to improved national health.
'Australia is a sporting nation where business and community come together to share a passion for sport. We share a vision, to create world class sporting events. We see a future where incredible sporting achievement and a global sporting event has the power to educate, brand, and position nations in the global community.'
Contact us to engage Australian expertise
With a presence in almost all countries hosting a major sporting event over the next decade, your local Australian Trade Commission office can connect you to the specialists with the vision and proven capability to help create your premier sporting event.