(Last updated: 25 Nov 2008)
The Australian automotive sector generates sales of approximately A$20 billion and employs close to 70,000 people. Comprised of foreign and indigenous companies, it represents Australia’s sixth largest export earner.
The Australian automotive industry is a centre for engineering for rear wheel drive vehicles and innovative technologies, niche volume design and manufacturing. This is underpinned by strong research and development expenditure with Australian Government support.
A relatively small and slowly decreasing domestic market means that vehicle and component manufacturers are looking to increase exports. Many of the aftermarket suppliers are also focused on overseas markets.
Key areas are in vehicle exports, some original equipment parts, Australian 4x4 products, performance parts, intellectual property and services.
There are opportunities in:
- Vehicles – two Australian manufacturers are strong exporters
- Original equipment components – integration with the global Industry is essential for this industry
- Globally competitive technology, especially in niche volume design and manufacturing
- Aftermarket parts and accessories, especially 4x4 products and performance parts
- Automotive services, such as product design, tooling, manufacturing expertise, engineering, testing and training
Some Australian components makers are marketing their low volume manufacturing expertise to companies in other low volume countries. Others are increasing their size by growing their international operations.
Priority markets with the greatest opportunities for Australian automotive products include:
- Saudi Arabia (vehicles and aftermarket)
- USA (components, aftermarket, performance, technology)
- UAE (vehicles and aftermarket)
- China (components, technology)
- Thailand (components)
How can we help you?
With a worldwide network of highly experienced and qualified staff, Austrade provides a number of dedicated and tailored services to Australian exporters.
Austrade offers practical advice, market intelligence and ongoing support (including financial) to Australian businesses looking to develop international markets. Austrade also provides advice and guidance on overseas investment and joint venture opportunities, and helps put Australian businesses in contact with potential overseas investors.
For further information please contact Austrade on 13 28 78 or email email@example.com.
Useful links and contacts