Connected to Asia
Australia is geographically close to and has longstanding trade, investment and cultural links with the fast-growing Asia-Pacific region.
Australia has an open trading economy.
- Two-way trade in goods and services in 2013-14 totalled A$669 billion (42 per cent of GDP).
- Ten of Australia’s top 12 goods and services export markets were in the Asia region in 2013-14.
- Asia represented over 70 per cent of Australia’s total two-way merchandise trade in 2013-14.
- Foreign investment stock totals A$2.6 trillion.
- Australia's inward foreign direct investment (FDI) stock reached A$630 billion in 2013, up 40 per cent from 2008 figures.
- The USA and UK remain the strongest sources of FDI, but investment from Asia is increasing.
- Record numbers of overseas short-term visitors.
Charts from the Benchmark Report
The Australia Benchmark Report provides rich data demonstrating why there is no better place than Australia to do business. The report examines five key reasons for investing in Australia – Growth, Innovation, Talent, Location and Business – and compares Australia's credentials with other countries.
Charts can be downloaded and saved as images for use in reports and presentations (please reference www.austrade.gov.au).