Growing interest in Myanmar for Australian education and training
08 Dec 2017
Austrade Myanmar recently held the Australia Universities Outreach to International Schools seminar in Yangon, for a group of 12 Australian universities. There was strong participation and a high level of student engagement from all the participating high schools. The seminar also demonstrated interest from universities in Yangon to collaborate with Australian institutions.
Local schools, students and parents showed enthusiasm and support for the visits of Australian universities, with students gaining a good understanding of further options for university study.
Universities from Yangon expressed a strong interest in collaborating with Australian institutions. During the roundtable discussion with representatives from Yangon University, Yangon Technology University and Yangon University of Education, Australian universities gained insights and knowledge on the Myanmar education sector.
Key highlights and learnings from the seminar:
- The large turnout at the event was a result of Facebook advertising
- It is important to include parents in marketing efforts, through the use of local language content
- The growing role of alumni – they are ambitious to do more in market and are looking for institutional support
- The schools visited expressed a desire for further engagement:
- Visiting academics are invited to give classes/presentations to students
- School counsellors will be hosting a major event in September 2018 to provide information on options for students when choosing universities
- There is growth in income levels and self-funded students
- Popular areas of study include engineering and business
- Rectors are already engaged with sending students to Australia for exchange programs but would like to grow this activity – key areas for potential partnerships include curriculum development, education/teacher development, academic exchange and professional development, and student exchange.
For further information on the event or the Myanmar market contact Win Oo, Senior Business Development Manager, Austrade Myanmar.