Generally the business culture in Finland is similar to that in Australia.
Some tips include:
- It is advisable to seek appointments well in advance of your visit.
- Punctuality is required both for business and social appointments.
- First name terms are more common in younger, modern businesses than in traditional circles or at formal occasions, but if you are unsure, leave it to your host to suggest first names.
- General greetings are by handshake, stating clearly both your first name and surname.
- It is customary to offer your business card at the commencement of a meeting.
- Decision making is frequently by consensus, therefore, on the spot decisions are rare.
- Business dress can vary within Finland depending on the type of industry. Generally for a first meeting formal business dress is most appropriate.
Setting up in Market
Invest in Finland has information for those considering setting up a business.
Banking and finance
The Nordea Bank Group, the OKO Bank Group and Sampo are the three leading banks in Finland, encompassing over 75 per cent of the country’s banking services. Other banks, finance companies and insurance companies, both domestic and foreign, can be found in Helsinki.
Links and resources
Government, business and trade
Invest in Finland
News and media
Please note: This list of websites and resources is not definitive. Inclusion in this list does not imply endorsement by Austrade. The information provided is a guide only. The content is for information and carries no warranty; as such, the addressee must exercise their own discretion in its use. Australia’s anti-bribery laws apply overseas and Austrade will not provide business related services to any party who breaches the law and will report credible evidence of any breach. For further information, please see foreign bribery information and awareness pack.