Atlanta’s Hartsfield International Airport (ATL) is one of the busiest airports in the world. Direct flights are available from Hartsfield to all major cities in the Americas and to many European cities. Delta Airlines is based in Atlanta.
Boston’s Logan International Airport (BOS) now serves 42 overseas markets with non-stop service. Logan is the largest airport in New England.
Chicago is serviced by two major airports:
- O'Hare International Airport (ORD) is a hub for both American and United Airlines. As one of the world’s busiest airports, O’Hare offers more connections to more cities, more often than any other airport in the world, including over 60 foreign destinations.
- Midway International Airport (MDW) is the premier point-to-point airport in the nation and one of the fastest growing airports on the continent, serving over 19 million travellers each year.
Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW) is the primary international airport serving the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex in Texas. It is the largest hub for American Airlines, which is headquartered near the airport. Qantas now operates direct flights from DFW to Australia.
George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), is the international airport in Houston, Texas serving the Greater Houston metropolitan area, the fifth-largest metropolitan area in the United States. It is the largest Hub for United Airlines.
The main airport in Los Angeles (LAX) and is one of the first stop-overs when coming to the USA from Australia.
New York has three major airports:
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is the major international airport with daily Qantas and United through flights to Australia. Travel time to JFK is about 45 minutes from midtown.
- LaGuardia (LGA) is located closer to Manhattan (around 30 minutes). La Guardia is primarily a short-haul domestic airport.
- Newark (EWR) is a major international and domestic airport located in Newark, New Jersey (about an hour to Manhattan).
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) located south of city, serves Silicon Valley and the wider Bay Area. One of the nation's busiest airports, SFO handles domestic flights and international connections to and from the Pacific Rim, Europe and Latin America. Some alternative airports are Oakland International Airport (OAK) and San Jose International Airport (SJC)
Three main airports service Washington:
If flying from New York to Washington DC, consider a shuttle flight with US Airways or Delta Airlines from New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) into Washington’s Ronald Reagan National Airport (DCA).
Alternatively, a very convenient way to travel between the Washington DC – New York – Boston area is via the national railway system, Amtrak. If catching the train from New York to Washington, it takes approximately three and a half hours and driving takes around five hours. For other cities in the USA, World Executive has more information on how to get from the airport.
The internal travel systems in the USA are highly efficient. All larger cities have airports and the interstate highway system, connecting major cities, is well maintained and efficient. Air travel between cities is probably the best way to travel due to time and convenience.
Trains (Amtrak) rarely offer any significant cost savings. For travel within the major cities of the eastern US, taxis are preferred due to parking difficulties. Taxi drivers expect a tip of approximately 15 per cent.
Some places in the USA have shuttlebuses, which seat around 10 people and are a cross between a taxi and a bus in as much as they run roughly to a timetable, but will pick you up from your door. The price too, reflects the compromise by being less expensive than a taxi, but more expensive than a bus.
Cities in the western US tend to be more dispersed, so hiring a car for your travels is often more economical. When possible, hire a car with a Global Positioning System (GPS) to reduce the chances of getting lost. An Australian driver’s licence is required to hire a car and get insurance and can be used for up to six months, after which you will need a local licence.
International licences can only be used for up to 10 days and very few rental car companies will accept them for insurance purposes. Americans drive on the right side of the road and the driver sits on the left side of the car.