Free Trade Agreement Market Entry Grant
This Grant program forms the second phase of FTA grants work, aligning with the Government’s existing FTA advocacy and outreach objectives. The first phase, which focused on delivering technical training to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), was conducted under the Free Trade Agreement Training Provider (FTA-TP) Grant — no further FTA-TP rounds will be conducted.
The Free Trade Agreement Market Entry (FTA-ME) Grant, which forms the second phase of the Government’s FTA advocacy and outreach, will assist eligible organisations deliver market entry strategies aimed at helping Australian SMEs and stakeholders access FTA target markets with confidence. Eligible markets under the FTA-ME Grant include China, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brunei, Canada, Mexico, Chile and Peru. The grant is open to the following type of organisations:
- member-based business organisations located in Australia such as chambers of commerce and industry, bilateral business councils and chambers or peak industry/business associations
- Universities and their associated Institutes and TAFE Colleges.
Individual companies cannot apply.
The program is competitive and merit based.
Objective and goals of the Grant
The objective of the FTA-ME Grant is to generate market entry strategies for Australian SME businesses that lead to opportunities which increase utilisation of FTAs in eligible markets. The grants are designed to deliver business strategies which both educate and increase the potential for tangible outcomes by SMEs in FTA markets. Eligible Australian business organisations, based in Australia, will be supported to deliver:
- Market entry strategies highlighting targeted business opportunities in conjunction with in-market activities to strengthen and increase FTA outcomes.
The key goals of the FTA-ME Grant are to leverage the capability of Australian member-based business organisations to:
- Develop and deliver market entry strategies for SMEs, underpinned by expert advice that targets FTA market entry, fosters greater in-market business development and partnerships and identifies opportunities in the target markets
- Ensure adequate information and knowledge based training is available to support Australian businesses understand sound market entry strategies and opportunities in FTA target markets.
Building greater awareness of FTA benefits, particularly in the SME sector, increasing access and utilising opportunities is expected to have a positive impact on the broader economy and particularly on regional Australia. Where relevant, the knowledge gained from delivery of initiatives in this program will be shared by Austrade with Australian business and stakeholders to ensure maximum awareness and utilisation of FTA benefits.
FTA-ME Grants are intended to provide partial funding to eligible Australian member-based business organisations with projects and business activities aimed at achieving the objective and goals of the FTA-ME Grant program
Grant rounds - open Monday 19 November 2018
The FTA-ME Grant is to be run in both the 2018-19 and 2019-20 financial years. Successful applicants will have 12 months to complete their project.
Applicants can apply for funding from:
Year 1: Grant funding of $20,000 - $80,000 (excluding GST) in the 2018-19 financial year.
Year 2: Grant funding of $20,000 - $80,000 (excluding GST) in the 2019-20 financial year.
Applications for Year 1 – The 2018-19 grant round, closed Wednesday, 16 January 2019.
The Guidelines (PDF, 421KB) provide applicants with key program details and inform decision makers regarding their organisation's suitability in relation to eligibility. The Guidelines also outline the information organisations need to include in an application.
These Guidelines are divided into five sections
- Section 1 provides an overview of the FTA-ME Grant
- Section 2 provides details on eligibility, merit criteria and the selection process
- Section 3 provides guidance on what constitutes eligible expenditure
- Section 4 outlines other requirements relating to grants
- Section 5 provides information on submitting grant applications
Grant information package
The full package of information for the FTA-ME Grant can also be viewed at GrantConnect. The package includes the following:
- Goals and objectives of the FTA-ME Grant program
- 2018-19 FTA-ME Grant Guidelines
- FTA-ME Draft Funding Agreement
- Frequently asked questions
- A copy of the 2018-19 FTA-ME Grant brochure
Further information on the FTA-ME Grant
For FTA-ME Grant enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 136 014.
Grant Recipients — FTA-TP
Details of grants awarded under the previous FTA-TP Grant program are provided below: