Indigenous Tourism Group
The Indigenous Tourism Group – (ITG) focuses on ways to increase the quality and quantity of Australia's Indigenous tourism product offering, and the participation of Indigenous Australians in the tourism industry.
Priorities of the ITG
The key deliverables of the ITG include:
- facilitating an increase in Indigenous tourism employment
- building capacity of Indigenous tourism businesses
- enhancing Indigenous tourism product offerings
- guiding policy direction for Indigenous tourism development
- coordinating national projects between relevant government and industry bodies
Tourism Ministers have endorsed four priorities for the ITG:
- Unmet Demand - Support the development of Indigenous tourism in major cities, visitor gateways and mainstream tourism destinations.
- Remote Supply – Aggregate/coordinate micro and small Indigenous tourism operators to improve the availability, accessibility and reliability of regional and remote Indigenous tourism product.
- Product Development – Develop the experience of Indigenous culture, and people, as a value-add to mainstream tourism experiences.
- Market Development – Develop the Indigenous cultural experience as a unique differentiator for Australia in the international market and as an integral part of the authentic Australian experience.
The ITG membership draws from government, industry and representative bodies, comprised of representatives that have expertise in Indigenous tourism or related activities and support Indigenous tourism development and participation.
- Aden Ridgeway (Chair)
- Austrade (Secretariat)
- Tourism Australia
- Commonwealth Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Parks Australia
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Reconciliation Australia
- All state and territory Tourism organisations
- Western Australian Indigenous Tourism Operators Council
Indigenous Tourism Champions Program
The Indigenous Tourism Champions Program (ITCP) is a collaborative national program instigated by Tourism Australia and Indigenous Business Australia (IBA).
The program is building reliability and consistent quality in service delivery for Indigenous tourism product. The ITCP is achieving this through selective marketing of product which has met stringent criteria, ensuring that the businesses being promoted are able to meet the needs and expectations of trade and the international market. Program oversight is provided by a sub-group of the ITG.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.