Major Sporting Events capability
Australia’s major sporting event expertise is extensive. As world leaders, this experience stretches across every stage of the major sporting event lifecycle, including:
- Event assessment and bidding
- Strategic planning
- Governance and organisation structure development
- Venue design and construction, including master planning, overlay and non-competition infrastructure
- Functional and operational planning services
- Event management and operations
- Cultural and ceremonies
- Product design and supply
- Innovative solutions and technology
Demonstrated global experience
Australia’s track record in sharing major sporting event expertise is impressive, with diverse, innovative and cutting edge solutions being tailored for major international sporting events across the globe. It is no coincidence that the organising committees of most upcoming major international sporting events have an Australian presence.
Australian companies have played key roles in the success of many global sporting events, including:
- Design development for New Doha International Stadium, FIFA World Cup, Qatar, 2022
- Security program management & planning, FIFA World Cup, Qatar, 2022
- Planning services, IRB Rugby World Cup, Japan, 2019
- Stadium designs for Sochi, Kazan & Rostov stadiums, FIFA World Cup, Russia, 2018
- Design of the Jakarta International Velodrome, Asian Games, Jakarta, 2018
- Design & implementation of a workforce management platform, Superbowl, Houston, 2017
- Project planning, event operations & management services, Olympic Games, Rio, 2016
- Provision of furniture & sports equipment, Olympic Games, Rio, 2016
- Design of multicultural community engagement program, AFC Asian Cup, Australia, 2015
- Venue overlay services, AFC Asian Cup, Australia, 2015
- Sport presentation, Commonwealth Games, Glasgow, 2014
- Development & project management of the A$2.2 billion Olympic Village, Olympic Games, London, 2012
- Construction of the iconic pink and blue synthetic hockey pitch, Olympic Games, London, 2012
- Pyrotechnic provisions & special effects for Ceremonies, Rugby World Cup, New Zealand, 2011
- Emergency management assurance, policies & village operations, Commonwealth Games, India, 2010
- Roof construction of the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, FIFA World Cup, South Africa, 2010
- Opening & Closing Ceremony Executive Producer/Artistic Director, Winter Olympics, Vancouver, 2010
- Planning & transfer of knowledge seminars, Asian Games, Guangzhou, 2010
- Design of National Aquatic Centre (‘Water Cube’), Olympic Games, Beijing, 2008
A distinguished track record
In being declared “the best ever” Olympic Games by Juan Antonio Samaranch, the former IOC President, the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games set the benchmark for all future sporting events and positioned Australia as the world-leader in major sporting event delivery – a position that Australian companies have since built upon at numerous major sporting events held in Australia and throughout the world.
Australian event specialists have played key roles in the successful hosting of major international sporting events in Australia, including IRB Rugby World Cup 2003, Melbourne 2006 Commonwealth Games, AFC Asian Cup 2015, ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 and Rugby League World Cup 2017, and this strong pedigree continues with this year’s hosting of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games and with the ICC World T20 tournament to be held in Australia in 2020.
On the international stage, Australian companies have led the way, shaping the delivery of every Olympic and Paralympic Games held since Sydney 2000, as well as FIFA World Cups, IRB Rugby World Cups, ICC Cricket World Cups, Commonwealth Games and various regional major events, such as Asian Games, Asian Cups and Pan-American Games.
Australian expertise has, therefore, played a pivotal role in enabling countries throughout the world to leverage the hosting of major international sporting events to enhance their global image, develop sustainable infrastructure and achieve positive social outcomes by encouraging higher sports participation rates.
Innovative solutions and emerging technologies are at the heart of everything we do, and this sets us apart, as leaders in the major events industry. We embrace new and evolving technologies and see the emergence of virtual and augmented reality and artificial intelligence as game-changing opportunities to enhance the experience of viewers, spectators and participants.
Recognising the importance of data capture and data-driven decision making and the transformational potential of the digital economy, Australian companies think outside the box and leverage market-leading experience and emerging technologies to deliver smarter, more efficient solutions to complex issues in this rapidly-changing environment.