Austrade, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet would like to thank the following organisations:
- AlphaBeta, Asialink Business and PwC for peer reviewing the publication.
- ANZ, Blackmores, CEC Systems, Cochlear, Consolidated Pastoral Company (CPC), Ego Pharmaceuticals, 4 Ways Fresh, GroupGSA, Icon Global, IE Asia Pacific, Intersective, Ironbark Citrus, Lendlease, Linfox, Qantas, RJE Global, Site Group International, Swinburne University, Telstra, UNSW Sydney, Vix Technology, William Angliss Institute, Tony Charters and Associates and Zed Technologies for providing case studies of Australian organisations that are successfully engaging with ASEAN countries.
This report has been prepared by the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) and the Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade). The report is a general overview and is not intended to provide exhaustive coverage of the topic. The information is made available on the understanding that the Commonwealth of Australia is not providing professional advice.
While care has been taken to ensure the information in this report is accurate, the Commonwealth does not accept any liability for any loss arising from reliance on the information, or from any error or omission, in the report.
Any person relying on this information does so at their own risk. The Commonwealth recommends the person exercise their own skill and care, including obtaining professional advice, in relation to their use of the information for their purposes.
The Commonwealth does not endorse any company or activity referred to in the report, and does not accept responsibility for any losses suffered in connection with any company or its activities.
© Commonwealth of Australia 2017
The material in this document is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution – 4.0 International licence, with the exception of:
- the Commonwealth Coat of Arms
- any third-party material
- any material protected by a trade mark
- any images and photographs.
- More information on this CC BY licence is set out at the creative commons website: creativecommons.org/licenses/ by/4.0/legalcode
Before reusing any part of this document, including reproduction, public display, public performance, distribution, dissemination, communication, or importation, you must comply with the Attribution requirements under the CC BY licence.
Report material used 'as supplied'
Provided you have not modified or remixed the material in this publication in any way, it may be reused as long as the following attribution is used:
Source: Australian Government publication 'ASEAN Now'.
If you have modified or remixed the material in this publication, or derived new material from it in any way, the following attribution must be used:
Based on the Australian Government publication 'ASEAN Now'.
Using the Commonwealth Coat of Arms
Publication date: November 2017
- World Trade Organization, 'World Trade Statistical Review 2017', United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), 'World Investment Report 2017', http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2017_en.pdf, 7 June 2017.
- PwC, 'Passing us by: Why Australian businesses are missing the Asian opportunity. And what they can do about it', https://www.pwc.com.au/asia-practice/assets/passing-us-by.pdf, December 2014.
- McKinsey Global Institute, 'Southeast Asia at the crossroads: Three paths to sustained economic growth in Southeast Asia', https://www.mckinsey.com/insights/energy_resources_materials/three_paths_to_sustained_economic_growth_in_southeast_asia, November 2014.
- Alphabeta and Nielsen, 'Rethinking ASEAN: Dispelling 8 Myths about Consumer Markets', https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/sg/docs/reports/2017/ASEAN%20Consumer%20Demand%20Report.pdf, June 2017, pp 12-14.
- United Nations World Urbanisation Prospects: The 2014 Revision, POP/DB/WUP/Rev.2014/1/F22, June 2014.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit, 'ASEAN cities: Stirring the melting pot', 2016, p 9.
- Alphabeta and Nielsen, 'Rethinking ASEAN: Dispelling 8 Myths about Consumer Markets', https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/sg/docs/reports/2017/ASEAN%20Consumer%20Demand%20Report.pdf, June 2017, p 22.
- Ibid, p 13.
- KPMG and Eurasia Group, 'Politics, Power, and Change: What's Next for ASEAN', https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/sg/pdf/2017/05/politics-power-and-change-what-next-for-asean.pdf, 23 May 2017, p 12.
- Google and Temasek, 'e-conomy SEA: Unlocking the $200 billion digital opportunity in Southeast Asia', https://apac.thinkwithgoogle.com/research-studies/e-conomy-sea-unlocking-200b-digital-opportunity.html, 27 May 2016, p 6.
- Data sourced from ASEAN Secretariat, 'ASEAN Economic Community Chartbook 2016', http://www.aseanstats.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/AEC-Chartbook-2016-1.pdf.
- Google and Temasek, 'e-conomy SEA: Unlocking the $200 billion digital opportunity in Southeast Asia', https://apac.thinkwithgoogle.com/research-studies/e-conomy-sea-unlocking-200b-digital-opportunity.html, 27 May 2016, pp 7, 14.
- Ibid, p 25.
- Ibid, p 26.
- McKinsey Global Institute, Digital Globalization: The New Era of Global Flows, http://www.mckinsey.com/~/media/McKinsey/Business%20Functions/McKinsey%20Digital/Our%20Insights/Digital%20globalization%20The%20new%20era%20of%20global%20flows/MGI-Digital-globalization-Full-report.ashx, March 2016.
- Projections sourced from United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, 'World Urbanization Prospects: The 2014 Revision', https://esa.un.org/unpd/wup/publications/files/wup2014-highlights.pdf, 2014; Alphabeta and Nielsen, 'Rethinking ASEAN: Dispelling 8 Myths about Consumer Markets', https://www.nielsen.com/content/dam/nielsenglobal/sg/docs/reports/2017/ASEAN%20Consumer%20Demand%20Report.pdf, June 2017; McKinsey Global Institute, 'Southeast Asia at the crossroads: Three paths to sustained economic growth in Southeast Asia', https://www.mckinsey.com/insights/energy_resources_materials/three_paths_to_sustained_economic_growth_in_southeast_asia, November 2014; and McKinsey, 'Understanding ASEAN: Seven things you need to know', https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-sector/our-insights/understanding-asean-seven-things-you-need-to-know, May 2014.
- McKinsey, 'Understanding ASEAN: Seven things you need to know', https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-sector/our-insights/understanding-asean-seven-things-you-need-to-know, May 2014.
- np – not published.
- Cambodia Ministry of Tourism, 'Annual Report 2016', http://www.tourismcambodia.org/images/mot/statistic_reports/tourism_statistics_year_new_2016.pdf, p 2.
- PwC, 'The World in 2050', https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/world-2050/assets/pwc-the-world-in-2050-full-report-feb-2017.pdf, February 2017, p 4.
- The World Bank, 'Indonesia's Urban Story', http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/45281465807212968/IDN-URBAN-ENGLISH.pdf, June 2016, p 3.
- OECD, 'Indonesia – Country Note – Education at a Glance 2016: OECD Indicators', http://gpseducation.oecd.org/Content/EAGCountryNotes/EAG2016_CN_IDN.pdf, 2016 and International Labour Organization, 'Labour and social trends in Indonesia 2014-2015', http://www.ilo.org/jakarta/whatwedo/publications/WCMS_381566/lang--en/index.htm, 9 July 2015.
- Frost & Sullivan, 'Malaysia - The 20 by 2020 Inevitability', https://ww2.frost.com/news/press-releases/frost-sullivan-malaysia-20-2020-inevitability/, 27 January 2016.
- Myanmar Directorate of Investment and Company Administration, 'Foreign Investment of Permitted Enterprises As Of (31/7/2017) (By Country)', http://www.dica.gov.mm/sites/dica.gov.mm/files/document-files/fdi_by_country_0.pdf.
- World Bank Data, https://data.worldbank.org.
- Euromonitor International, Philippines Country Profile, March 2017.
- We Are Social, 'Digital in 2017: Global Overview', https://wearesocial.com/uk/blog/2017/01/digital-in-2017-global-overview, 14 January 2017.
- Philippines Mines and Geosciences Bureau, 'Transition Report to Secretary Roy Cimatu', June 2017.
- IMF World Economic Outlook Database, October 2017.
- Singapore National Population and Talent Division, 'Older Singaporeans to double by 2030, https://population.sg/articles/older-singaporeans-to-double-by-2030, 22 August 2016.
- eMarketer, 'More than 90% of Internet Users in Thailand Use Smartphones to Go Online', https://www.emarketer.com/Article/More-than-90-of-Internet-Users-Thailand-Use-Smartphones-Go-Online/1015217, 13 February 2017.
- Statista, https://www.statista.com/outlook/243/126/ecommerce/thailand.
- Airbus, 'State-of-the-art facility to be developed at U-Tapao International Airport', press release, 8 March 2017.
- Mastercard, 'Global Destination Cities Index 2016', https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/FINAL-Global-Destination-Cities-Index-Report.pdf, 22 September 2016.
- PR Newswire, 'Travel and Tourism in Thailand to 2020', https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/travel-and-tourism-in-thailand-to-2020-300255761.html, 21 April 2016.
- Thailand Board of Investment, http://www.boi.go.th.
- Boston Consulting Group, 'Vietnam and Myanmar: Southeast Asia's New Growth Frontiers', https://www.bcgperspectives.com/content/articles/consumer_insight_growth_vietnam_myanmar_southeast_asia_new_growth_frontier/, December 2013.
- Frost & Sullivan, 'Vietnam Healthcare Outlook', June 2015.
- Nielsen 'Vietnamese Consumers Insight 2016', https://www.slideshare.net/CVEN2016/vietnamese-consumers-insight-2016, March 2015.
- BMI Research, 'Vietnam Oil and Gas Report Q4 2016', 7 September 2016.