Austrade international education update 2021
21 Dec 2021
Austrade’s messaging is focused on reassuring students, parents and agents worldwide that Australia continues to offer world-class qualifications and outcomes, and that the Australian community welcomes and cares about international students.
We use insights from digital student journey mapping and website navigation research to help inform market-facing communications and to continuously improve our digital services. We have also developed a range of initiatives to engage prospective, former and current students globally, as well as agents, parents and education partners.
Austrade International Education initiatives from 2021
New Employability Hub
In recognition of the importance of employability for international students, prospective, current and former students all have access to a new Study Australia website Employability Hub. Features include: a new suite of free Study Australia Microcredentials covering work-readiness (including entrepreneurship) and academic preparation, student and graduate information resources, and student resources on workplace rights and protections. The first of the microcredentials, launched in collaboration with Successful Graduate, is the Study Australia Work-Readiness Microcredential.
Australia’s Nation Brand
A new Nation Brand-compliant Study Australia wordmark is now in use for ‘Team Australia’ promotional activities. In April 2021, Austrade released a three-part Market Information Package (MIP) series on Nation Brand, including a provider resource. In January 2022, Austrade will launch the Study Australia Marketing Toolkit. The Toolkit provides an online creative asset library designed to support a unified brand identity and voice for Australia’s international education sector. It will be available to Australian education providers, agents, study destinations and government agencies. The Toolkit will also allow users to search and download Nation Brand assets and guidelines, dedicated international education images and videos, social media tiles and campaign collateral.
Study Australia events support a cohesive brand presence internationally. In collaboration with all states and territories, through the Study Australia Partnership (SAP), Austrade aims to build a consistent user, provider and participant experience across a range of event types. Austrade has published a 2021 events calendar via the MIP. Leveraging the next Study Australia Masterclass Live Series event in February 2022 (as above), promotional activity will encourage a global audience to participate.
Student voice capture
The Austrade-SAP Onshore Student Sentiment Survey project (partner: Edified) assesses student access to information and support services, with the aim of identifying and addressing gaps, and improving student experience. Over the course of four surveys conducted so far during 2020 and 2021, over 16,000 responses have been received from international students aged 16+ located across Australia. A ‘check-in’ survey is planned for June 2022.
The 2021 #MyAustralia initiative was developed in collaboration with the SAP to showcase positive experiences and student connections with the Australian community and employers. Shared globally via the Study Australia Facebook and Instagram channels, this initiative has delivered over 10 million impressions across Facebook, Instagram and Weibo, and over one million video views to date.
On 22 November 2021, Austrade launched the social media hashtag #WelcomeBackToAus. We encourage all sector stakeholders, peaks and providers, to join us in amplifying and adding content, including student user-generated social content capturing student arrivals and returns.
The Latest travel and visa advice section on the Study Australia website continues to be updated daily to respond to common student questions and concerns. Recent announcements concerning PSW visas (485) can be found at the following links:
On 15 December 2021, following the ‘temporary pause’ on the easing of travel restrictions, Austrade posted social media content based on the message: ‘Confirmed! From 15 December, Australia welcomes all fully vaccinated international students’ using the hashtags #studyaustralia and #WelcomeBackToAus on Study Australian Instagram, Facebook and Twitter.
Global Agent Week 2021
The inaugural Austrade-SAP Global Agent Week was held 29 November – 3 December 2021, with global updates from across federal, state and territory governments, and local/regional in-language networking made available to agents worldwide.
Almost 2800 registrations for the event resulted in a total of 2,588 session attendances by 1,063 individuals from 55 countries. The Exhibition Hall, featuring Study Australia and all SAP member state and territory study destination agencies welcomed 2,730 visits across all booths. Feedback received from participants included praise for the event, outreach to the agent network and for informative and relevant sessions, including:
- “I have learned more information that I didn't know. I got the answers that I would like to know. I will also share this info to my co-workers.”
- “As a provider, we feel we have the Australian Government support and backup in an overseas market, we can tell our agents to get in touch with AUSTRADE for the most up to date information about the Education Industry in Australia. Thank you.”
New Partner Hub for agents and providers
Housed at the Study Australia website and accessed via secure log-in, the new Study Australia Partner Hub was launched on 2 December 2021 during Global Agent Week. The Partner Hub is a dedicated resource for education agents, housing the latest news, resources and insights supporting the promotion of Australia as a preferred study destination.
Housed at the Partner Hub, resources designed especially for Study Australia partners include a new Study Australia Insights podcast series with episodes on every state and territory, guidance on culturally-sensitive communications, links to the new Study Australia Marketing Toolkit, and the latest student travel, arrival and visa information. Access to the Partner Hub is for education agents with a current student placement agreement to represent an Australian education provider overseas or onshore in Australia, and any interested providers.
What is next in 2022?
- From mid-January, Austrade is pleased to share a new Study Australia ‘Welcome’ video to complement the new travel and arrivals policy announcements – please check our socials from today, Friday 17 December, and on-share to your networks.
- A new Partner Hub has been established at the Study Australia website with news, updates and resources designed especially for education agent representatives and any interested providers. It includes latest news and updates, links and resources, as well as Study Australia Insights podcast episodes, Global Agent Week presentation recordings and access (from January 2022) to the new Study Australia Marketing Toolkit. The Partner Hub registration form is available at: https://www.studyaustralia.gov.au/membership.aspx and can be shared with your networks.
- In early 2022, Austrade will launch a personalised Study Australia MyCareer Matcher Tool. The tool provides an online personality quiz with students with personalised downloadable results and reports, detailing the careers and courses that best suit students’ natural strengths and talents.
- Also in early 2022, Study Australia Microcredentials will include a new Academic Readiness Microcredential. As with the Work-Readiness Microcredential, this one is free and suitable for students who wish to be fully prepared for the academic requirements of the Australian education system. Participants will learn how an Australian education is designed to protect students and ensure the quality of their education.
- The second phase of the Study Australia Masterclass Live Series will run 7-17 February as part of Dubai World Expo, featuring brand new classes and academic presenters from every Australian state and territory. Following the event, these classes will be added to the Study Australia Masterclass Library.
- A new Study Australia Insights podcast series will feature all states and territories will be in development soon. While Series 1 (available via the Partner Hub) featured student services and creating belonging, Series 2 will focus on regional study destinations and all they have to offer.
- A new Study Australia Insights Quarterly Reports will provide valuable strategic insights into global search trends and emerging opportunities.
- A range of other new activities and events are planned for the remainder of 2022, with updates.
Watch our space at Study Australia.