February 2019 student enrolment data released
12 Apr 2019
The Department of Education and Training has released YTD February 2019 international student enrolment data. Key results include:
- Actual students are up 9.3 per cent to 554,188.
- Total enrolments increased by 8.4 per cent, while commencements decreased by 0.7 per cent
- VET was the only sector that experienced growth in commencements, increasing by 15.7 per cent
- VET had the strongest growth in enrolments (16.3 per cent), followed by higher education (8.6 per cent) and ELICOS (1 per cent), while the other sectors experienced small declines
- Of the top 25 markets the three fastest growing were Nepal (48 per cent), the Philippines (46 per cent) and India (34 per cent)
- China, India and Nepal accounted for 52 per cent of enrolments, up from 49 per cent for the same time in 2018
NOTE: Please treat any comparative analysis with caution as some providers do not commence until March and this can vary by year.
MIP subscribers can view the latest data on the Student data dashboard, and a public monthly summary is also available here.
Data enquiries can be directed to IEdata@austrade.gov.au