New DESE report on student mental health and welfare
01 Sep 2020
The Department of Education, Skills and Employment have released the ‘International Students and their Mental Health and Physical Safety’ report. The research was conducted by youth mental health group Orygen and consisted of interviews and online surveys of students and providers across Australia. The report outlines seven areas of good practice for the sector to better support international students.
- Whole of provider commitment through policy and leadership
- Enhancing connections and belonging
- Building mental health and physical safety literacy and awareness
- Prevention and early identification of risk or emerging issues
- Promoting and facilitating access to supports on campus or in the community
- Designing and delivering culturally appropriate responses
- Critical incident management.
The full report can be found on the Department’s website.
Minister Tehan’s media release.