Updated cost of living financial requirements for student visa applicants
25 Oct 2019
The Department of Home Affairs has updated the cost of living financial requirements for student visa applicants. These requirements for students, guardians and accompanying family members are regularly updated in line with Australian Consumer Price Index (CPI) increases to mitigate the risk of visa holders falling into financial hardship during their stay in Australia.
The next increase to annual living costs and expenses took place on 23 October 2019. The evidentiary requirements for financial capacity are maintained through a legislative instrument. The new instrument will update the following annual living costs and expenses in line with the CPI increases from June 2017 to June 2019:
For (all figures are AUD$):
- Primary applicant: an increase from $20,292 to $21,041
- Spouse or de facto partner of the primary applicant: an increase from $7,100 to $7,362
- Dependent child: an increase from $3,040 to $3,152
- Annual school costs: an increase from $8,000 to $8,296
- Personal annual income if there is no secondary applicant: an increase from $60,000 to $62,222
- Personal annual income where there is a secondary applicant: an increase from $70,000 to $72,592
For further information, please refer to the legislation.