EMDG from 1 July 2021
The EMDG program now provides upfront funding certainty so you know how much you will receive during your grant agreement (2 or 3 years) so you can plan your promotional activities with confidence.
Types of grants for exporters
Small to medium enterprise (SME) exporters can apply for 3 different grants over 8 years (not necessarily consecutively) for eligible promotional activities.
Grants are available in 3 stages, called tiers. Each tier provides a different level of support for SMEs as they grow their export markets. The lengths of these grants reflect the different stages of an exporter’s journey.
Tier 1: Ready to export
- First time exporters
- 2 years and maximum $40,000 per financial year
Tier 2: Exporting and Expanding
- For businesses who are exporting and
- Expanding export promotion activities
- 3 years and maximum $80,000 per financial year
(see an example of Expanding)
Tier 3: Exporting, expanding and strategic shift
- For businesses who are exporting and
- Expanding export promotion activities and making a strategic shift, for example targeting a new market or a new type of customer
- 3 years and maximum $150,000 per financial year
(see an example of Expanding and strategic shift)
Grants for representative bodies
Assistance for industry bodies and alliances (representative bodies) extends to training members who are new to export to become export ready. Representative bodies will continue to have access to financial assistance for promotional activities on behalf of their members in international markets, with grants of up to 3 years and up to $150,000 per financial year.
EMDG governing documents
From 1 July 2021, EMDG is governed by 3 documents:
Process for receiving a grant
From 1 July 2021 the EMDG program will become an eligibility-based grants program.
- You apply for a grant, for promotional activities you undertake from 1 July 2021.
- Once all applications have been assessed, Austrade offers a grant agreement to each eligible applicant, for the full grant period for that tier (unless that would exceed the 8 financial years cap or the $770,000 total grant cap).
- You enter into a grant agreement with Austrade. You then undertake your promotional activities as agreed in the grant agreement.
- You request milestone payments in accordance with your grant agreement.
- Your grant agreement will set out when your milestone payments should be made and what you need to do to receive these payments.
You can apply for a grant under the EMDG program for eligible expenses incurred from 1 July 2021.
Grant applications open 9 am AEST on 16 August and close 5 pm AEDT on 30 November 2021.
In the first year, the application period is 3.5 months with a new, streamlined application process. This will allow applicants time to understand the new program. Austrade will review this process once complete and adjust it for future rounds if needed.
When are grant payments made?
The timing of payments is determined by your grant agreement. Your grant agreement will state:
When you should provide each milestone report. This will be a once a year requirement.
Austrade may make the first payment for tier 1 and representative body grantees this financial year (FY2021-22).
Tier 2 and Tier 3 grantees will receive their first payment early next financial year (FY2022-23),
In order to receive most payments you need to provide us with a milestone report as set out in your grant agreement. For further information about how we make this decision please see how we decide milestone payments
Once all applications have been received, Austrade will calculate the distribution of available funds for all eligible applications. Following assessment, if you are eligible, you will receive a grant agreement that will tell you how much your grant is for. Your obligation is to match, at a minimum, the dollar value of the grant monies you receive.