Tariffs and regulations

Tariffs and duty rates are constantly revised and are subject to change without notice.

Austrade strongly recommends you reconfirm these prior to selling to Finland.

Tariffs and non-tariff barriers


Finland is part of the harmonised trade system of the EU and importing and exporting are covered by the EU Taxation and Customs Union.

A Common External Tariff (CET) is applicable to other countries, including Australia.

The European Community has created the Binding Tariff Information (BTI) system as a tool to obtain the correct tariff classification for goods for import or export. Before shipping any goods, please consult Finnish Customs.

Non-tariff barriers

For more information on import licensing, quotas and restricted goods and so on, visit Finnish Customs website.

Product certification, labelling and packaging

Certification, labelling and packaging must meet EU requirements. For more information on current requirements, visit the European Union website.


To reduce the impact on the environment, the EU has required legislation concerning the management of packaging and packaging waste. 

CE Mark

The CE mark is a mandatory conformity marking for certain products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA).


All labelling and information directives of the European Council must be met, as well as local and national regulations. Information on the labelling of products in the interest of consumers and compliance procedures are available at Summaries of EU Legislation.

Food information and labelling legislation must comply with EU legislation. For more information, visit EUR- Lex Food Safety.

For organic produce, EU legislation requires that imported organic food from third countries be produced to the same standards as that from the EU. For more information, see trade in organic products.

Special certificates

There are controls on imports into Finland on a number of products. For more information, visit Finnish Customs.

Information on exporting and export documentation regarding animals, plants and agricultural products from Australia can also be found at theAustralian Department of Agricultureand Water Resources.

Methods of quoting and payment

Quotations can be in a currency as agreed between parties.

For more information on current requirements, visit the EU Requirements.

Documentary requirements

For more information on current documentary requirements, visit the EU Requirements.

A customs declaration and a declaration of dutiable value (in addition to the import licence and commercial invoice) are required by the importer on entry.

Pro-forma invoice

The importer may be required to obtain an import licence if import restrictions apply. It should contain information consistent with that indicated on the commercial invoice.

Commercial invoice

No prescribed form. A minimum of three copies are recommended and the invoice must indicate:

  • name and address of seller (supplier)
  • name and address of consignee
  • date of the invoice
  • date of purchase
  • number, type and gross weight of packages
  • kind of goods
  • the quality of the goods
  • an invoice price for each item (showing freight and insurance separately)
  • discounts
  • rebates
  • conditions of payment
  • terms of sale
  • delivery
  • the date that the invoice was prepared
  • the date the contract was signed.

Many importers are authorised to use a Simplified Declaration Procedure (Immediate Release System) and they may have special requirements about the presentation of invoice data.

Bill of lading

Normal commercial practice. To Order bills are acceptable.

Packing list

Required for and facilitates customs clearance.

Certificate of insurance

Normal commercial practices apply.


Normal commercial practices apply.

Weights and measures

Metric measurements (grams, kilograms, millilitres or litres) are used when selling packaged or loose goods.

Public health requirements

For more information on public health requirements, visit the EU Sanitary and phytosanitary requirements.

Certain domestic and imported food products may contain only those additives approved by the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry.