Australians on business or holiday may remain in Hong Kong for up to three months (visa free period) and are not generally required to obtain a visa. Visitors are required to have adequate funds to cover the duration of their stay without working, so unless you are in transit to China or Macau you should hold onward or return tickets.

If you want to stay longer than the visa free period allows you must apply for a visa before travelling to Hong Kong. As an alternative, you may also submit your visa application to the Hong Kong Immigration Department either directly or through a local sponsor.

By law, visitors are not allowed to undertake:

  • paid or unpaid employment
  • establish or join in any business
  • enter school as a student
  • except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their status after arrival.

If planning to undertake employment etc. it is important that you contact the Hong Kong Immigration Department before you leave Australia, as conditions and visas for working and residing in Hong Kong apply. Failure to apply for the necessary documentation means you may be refused entry on arrival.

For further information please contact your nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate prior to arrival.