Security and health

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smartraveller site provides advice for business travellers and tourists going to the Republic of Korea. This is regularly updated, and should be checked before planning travel.

It is strongly recommended that Australian travellers take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, before their departure. They should confirm that their insurance covers them for the whole time they will be away and check what circumstances and activities are / are not included in their policy.

It is also recommended that Australian travellers consult Smartraveller to provide greater protection in case of an emergency.


Travellers should consult with their doctor and travel agent for advice on any required vaccinations, but do not need vaccinations for yellow fever, cholera, typhoid, polio or malaria.

Water is chlorinated and safe, but sometimes may cause mild abdominal upsets. For short visits, bottled water is the best option and is widely available. Travellers are advised to eat only well-cooked meat and fish (especially during summer), preferably served hot.

If you need assistance while travelling in the ROK you should contact the Australian Embassy Seoul who can advise you in the case of emergency or distress. English speaking doctors are also available in the international clinics of major hospitals including:

Asan Medical Centre
Yonsei University Severance Hospital