Security and health

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smartraveller website provides advice for business travellers and tourists going to the UK. This is regularly updated, and should be checked before planning travel.

It is strongly recommended that Australian travellers take out comprehensive travel insurance that will cover any overseas medical costs, before their departure. They should confirm that their insurance covers them for the whole time they will be away and check what circumstances and activities are / are not included in their policy.

It is also recommended that Australian travellers consult Smartraveller to provide greater protection in case of an emergency.


No special security measures need to be taken, however be sure not to leave baggage unattended in public places, as this can cause a security alert. Take normal business precautions in your dealings with UK companies.


There is no specific health advice for travel to the UK. If you are travelling back to a farming region in Australia, check the foot and mouth disease restrictions, as it can be spread to cloven-hoofed livestock from clothing, though it does not affect humans.