Supporting zoos and aquariums program
We administer the Supporting Australia’s Exhibiting Zoos and Aquariums Program. It provides funding to support eligible:
- wildlife parks.
This is to maintain their animal populations if tourism revenue is affected by COVID-19 restrictions.
The program was also expanded to cover animal transfer costs. This may include cases where the transfer is needed due to an animal welfare issue.
Who is eligible
Eligible applicants are exhibiting zoos and aquariums that are important at a:
- national level
- state level
- regional level.
This is because they:
- contribute to conservation and presentation of animals
- drive interstate and international visitation.
We are unable to consider new applicants at this stage of the program.
The list of eligible applicants is available in Annexure 1 of the program guidelines under ‘More information’.
How to apply
Only existing applicants can apply for upcoming payments. Austrade contacts eligible applicants directly to provide information on the application process.
The program was extended in August 2021, with an extra $45 million until 30 June 2022.
- payment 7 (October to December 2021) will open Monday 27 September 2021 and close 11:59 AEDST, Sunday 14 November 2021
- payment 8 (January to March 2022) will open Tuesday 4 January 2022 and close 11:59 AEDST, Sunday 20 February 2022
- payment 9 (April to June 2022) will open Monday 28 March 2022 and close 11:59 AEST, Sunday 15 May 2022.
About the program
The $139.6 million program is helping sectors, regions and communities affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19.
We administer the program. It was designed in consultation with:
- the Zoos and Aquariums Association
- the Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment
- state and territory tourism organisations.
Contact the program delivery team by phone on 1800 048 155 or email ZandAGrants@austrade.gov.au