Supporting zoos and aquariums program
Status: The Program has now closed and no further rounds will be offered.
We administer the Supporting Australia’s Exhibiting Zoos and Aquariums Program. It provided funding to support eligible:
- wildlife parks.
This was to maintain their animal populations if tourism revenue is affected by COVID-19 restrictions.
The program was also expanded to cover animal transfer costs. This may include cases where the transfer is needed due to an animal welfare issue.
Who is eligible
Eligible applicants were exhibiting zoos and aquariums that are important at a:
- national level
- state level
- regional level.
This is because they:
- contribute to conservation and presentation of animals
- drive interstate and international visitation.
As the program has concluded, we are unable to consider new applicants.
The list of eligible applicants is available in Annexure 1 of the program guidelines under ‘More information’.
The program was extended in August 2021, with an extra $45 million until 30 June 2022.
- payment 7 (October to December 2021) opened Monday 27 September 2021 and closed 11:59 AEDST, Sunday 14 November 2021
- payment 8 (January to March 2022) opened Tuesday 4 January 2022 and closed 11:59 AEDST, Sunday 20 February 2022
- payment 9 (April to June 2022) opened Monday 28 March 2022 and closes 11:59 AEST, Sunday 15 May 2022.
About the program
The $139.6 million program helped sectors, regions and communities affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19.
We administer the program. It was designed in consultation with:
- the Zoos and Aquariums Association
- the Department of Agriculture, Water and Environment
- state and territory tourism organisations.
Contact the program delivery team by phone on 1800 048 155 or email ZandAGrants@austrade.gov.au