The government is charting a course for long-term growth of Australia’s visitor economy after the impact of COVID-19.
The visitor economy was Australia’s fourth largest export sector. It employed almost 700,000 people in 2018-19. COVID-19 has had a devastating impact on the sector. It faces a great deal of uncertainty as it works towards recovery.
The visitor economy covers:
- domestic and international tourism
- international student, business and leisure travellers
- associated industries such as hospitality, aviation and accommodation.
Visitor Economy total value (2019) - $166 billion
* The $4.7 billion in other spend comprises $0.7 billion from international travel and $4.1 billion from domestic travel. The main domestic categories are personal travel ($1.8 billion), providing transport ($0.8 billion), attending a funeral ($0.7 billion) and education ($0.6 billion).
Minister Tehan announced the Reimagining the Visitor Economy Expert Panel on 30 April 2021.
Austrade appointed former Minister for Tourism, the Hon. Martin Ferguson AM, to lead the panel. They will help chart a course for sustainable long-term growth of the visitor economy after the devastating impact of COVID-19.
Other panel members are:
- Leanne Coddington, Chief Executive Officer of Tourism and Events Queensland
- Karyn Kent, Chief Executive of StudyAdelaide
- Kate Lamont AM, founder of Lamont’s Wine and Food, Western Australia
- Juan Walker, owner-operator of Walkabout Cultural Adventures, Queensland
Read the expert panel biographies (PDF 137KB) | (DOC 616KB)
Scope of work
The Expert Panel will advise industry and government on the future of Australia’s visitor economy. This will help the government shape a policy framework that can guide the sector through longer term transformation to sustainable growth.
The panel’s report will build on the extensive work undertaken across industry and governments during 2018-2020. This work to develop the next long-term strategy for the visitor economy, Tourism 2030, was put on hold due to COVID-19.
Read the Terms of Reference for Reimagining the Visitor Economy (PDF 161KB)
Submissions to the panel
Thank you to everyone who responded with insights and solutions to the questions raised in the Discussion Paper (PDF 166kB).
Read the submissions to the discussion paper.
Submissions closed 11 June 2021.
If you have having difficulty accessing the documents, please contact us.
The stakeholder consultation survey closed 22 June. Thank you to everyone who participated.
Opportunities for the Visitor Economy report
We commissioned the Opportunities for the Visitor Economy research report to assist the work of the Expert Panel. The report examines trends and explores issues and opportunities. It finds that the visitor economy should build its future by:
- diversifying its markets
- modernising its offer assets and workforce
- collaborating at all levels.
Email the Reimagining the Visitor Economy team at firstname.lastname@example.org