Business Events Grants program
On 11 March 2021, the Australian Government announced an extension to the Business Events Grant program.
The program closed on 30 March and there has been strong take up of the program. Re-opening is conditional on available funding and further advice will be forthcoming.
On 11 September 2020, the Australian Government announced the $50 million Business Events Grants program. As part of the $1 billion Relief and Recovery Fund, the program provides assistance to industry sectors, regions and communities disproportionately affected by the economic impacts of COVID-19.
The two-phased program was developed to empower the $36 billion business events sector which has seen almost 100 per cent loss of revenue due to COVID-19. Grants between $10,000 and $250,000 are provided to cover up to 50 per cent of costs incurred in participating at pre-approved business to business events as buyers or sellers during the 2021 calendar year.
The two key program phases involve:
- Phase one: An expression of interest (EOI) for event owners to apply to have their event included on the Schedule of Approved Business Events.
- Phase two: The Business Events Grants program supports business event delegates and exhibitors by providing grants to meet up to 50 per cent of costs incurred in participating at pre-approved business events. Applications are to be submitted via the Business Grants Hub and close on 30 March 2021.
List of priority sectors
Most events on the Schedule of Approved Business Events align with one or more of the below priority sectors. Businesses applying for a grant will also need to demonstrate alignment with a priority sector and that the sector benefits from attendance and participation in the event. The priority sectors are:
- Food and agribusiness
- Oil and gas
- Medical products
- Clean energy
- Plastics and waste recycling
- Enabling digital technologies
Industry Advisory Panel
An industry advisory panel has been appointed to provide advice to Austrade and the Business Grants Hub on program implementation and the Schedule of Approved Business Events. Panel members are:
- Ms Sandra Chipchase, former CEO of Destination NSW and former CEO of the Melbourne Convention Bureau. (Panel Chair)
- Ms Penny Lion, Executive General Manager, Events, Tourism Australia
- Dr Leo Jago, (OAM) Director of Tourism and Business Events International.
Business Events Grants Program
The Business Events Grants program opened at midday (AEDST) on 4 January 2021 and closes on 30 March 2021. The Business Grants Hub will administer the Program. Program guidelines are available at business.gov.au. Applications will be submitted through the Business Grants Hub.
Questions about grant applications, eligibility or the program guidelines should be directed to the Business Grants Hub by calling 13 28 46.
The Schedule of Approved Business Events
The Schedule of Approved Business Events is now available. The Schedule will be updated regularly as more events are added to the Schedule.
Schedule of Approved Business Events
Expressions of Interest for the Schedule of Approved Business Events
Expressions of interest (EOI) for event owners to have their event included on the Schedule of Approved Business Events are now closed.
If you have a question regarding grant applications, eligibility or the program guidelines, please contact the Business Grants Hub by phone on 13 28 46.
Questions regarding the Schedule of Approved Business Events or the EOI process should be directed to the Program Delivery team by phone on 1800 048 155 or email BEgrants@austrade.gov.au.