Business Events Grants program
In August 2021, the Australian Government committed to providing further support for the $50 million Business Events Grants Program. An additional $6 million has been allocated to the program for distribution to applicants who were assessed as eligible but missed out on a grant as part of the original program. No new applications will be sought at this time.
NOTE: Any EOI or grant applications that were assessed as eligible under the previous round of the program will automatically be considered as eligible under the program These businesses do not need to reapply.
The two-phased program was developed to support business travel and assist the $36 billion business events sector which has seen almost 100 per cent loss of revenue due to COVID-19. Grants between $10,000 and $250,000 are provided to cover up to 50 per cent of costs incurred in participating at pre-approved business-to-business events as buyers or sellers during the 2021 calendar year.
The key program phases initially involved:
- Phase one: An expression of interest (EOI) for event owners to apply to have their event included on the Schedule of Approved Business Events.
- Phase two: The Business Events Grants program. The program supports business event delegates and exhibitors by providing grants to meet up to 50 per cent of costs incurred in participating at pre-approved business events. The program opened at midday (AEDST) on 4 January 2021 and closed on 30 March 2021.
Business Events Grant program additional commitment of funds
In August 2021, the Australian Government provided an additional $6 million to fund the applicants who were assessed as eligible but missed out on a grant due to the program being oversubscribed. Events must be held before 31 December 2021, unless the event has been reschuled due to COVID, then these events must be held before 31 December 2022.
List of priority sectors
Most events on the Schedule of Approved Business Events align with one or more of the below priority sectors. Businesses that applied for a grant needed to also demonstrate alignment with a priority sector and that the sector benefits from attendance and participation in the event. The priority sectors are:
- Food and agribusiness
- Oil and gas
- Medical products
- Clean energy
- Plastics and waste recycling
- Enabling digital technologies
Industry Advisory Panel
An industry advisory panel has been appointed to provide advice to Austrade and the Business Grants Hub on program implementation and the Schedule of Approved Business Events. Panel members are:
- Ms Sandra Chipchase, former CEO of Destination NSW and former CEO of the Melbourne Convention Bureau. (Panel Chair)
- Ms Penny Lion, former Executive General Manager, Events, Tourism Australia
- Dr Leo Jago, (OAM) Director of Tourism and Business Events International.
The Schedule of Approved Business Events
The Schedule of Approved Business Events is now available. The Schedule is updated regularly to accommodate changes such as delivery format and date changes to the existing approved events.
If you have a question regarding the program, please contact the the Program Delivery team on 1800 048 155 or email BEgrants@austrade.gov.au.