I want to export scrap metal / plastic / paper. Do I need an export permit and how do I get this?

​Shipments of clean items do not require special permission from the Australian Government.

If you want to export, import or transit hazardous waste, as defined under the Hazardous Waste Act, you must first apply for a permit from the Department of the Environment and Energy. The type of hazardous waste permit required will depend on the type of waste and also the countries of destination (export) and origin (import). You can learn more at the following link on what is defined as hazardous waste and how to obtain a permit: http://www.environment.gov.au/protection/hazardous-waste/applying-permit

For general advice on exporting, see Guide to Exporting.