The minimum documentation required to export goods includes:

  • Packing list
  • Commercial invoice.

Other commercial documentation related to the export of goods can include:

  • Shipper's Letter of Instruction
  • purchase order
  • insurance certificate
  • payment information
  • Certificate of Origin (CoO).

A CoO certifies that the horticultural goods for export are from Australia and are required to access preferential arrangements under a free trade agreement (FTA). A CoO is also required if the importer needs to verify the import is consistent with their import licence.

A CoO can be obtained from a range of organisations including Ai Group nationally and nominated Chambers of Commerce within each state. The service is fee-based. Fees vary from state to state but are normally between $30 and $50. More information can be found at Austrade's website.

An Export Declaration Number (EDN) is required if the exports have a value of $2000 or more. An EDN can be obtained through a customs broker or directly through the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's Integrated Cargo System (ICS).

What you need to do

  • Prepare all the relevant export documentation.
  • Obtain a Certificate of Origin to gain preferential access under an FTA.
  • Obtain an Export Declaration Number (EDN).