Making healthy, innovative food and beverages for the world
16 Apr 2019
There are few countries better placed than Australia to meet the growing global demand for foods that enhance health and wellness.
Austrade’s new report – Australian Capability in Better-for-you Foods – details why Australia is a world leader in growing, researching, developing and manufacturing foods that promote good health.
Australia’s capabilities in better-for-you foods is rooted in the country’s clean, green produce, which provide the raw ingredients for a diverse range of healthy processed food and beverages.
Robust food safety and quality control systems also preserve Australia’s worldwide reputation as a trustworthy supplier of high-quality produce.
International food companies will find plenty of opportunities to partner with Australian food researchers, developers, contract manufacturers and businesses. Australia’s extensive food and nutrition R&D has led to innovative products such as low-sugar juices fortified with probiotics and high-fibre wholegrains.
The report focuses Australia’s capabilities in seven segments:
- Free-from and low-in foods: Foods that are free from gluten, lactose and other ingredients considered to have an adverse impact on health; as well as foods that are low in fat, salt and sugar.
- Organic food and beverages: Foods that are grown and produced without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides and artificial chemicals.
- Baby food: Infant formula and other baby foods.
- Food for the elderly: Foods that meet the specific health needs of the elderly, such as food that is easy to swallow or contains tailored nutritional content.
- Sports nutrition and weight loss products: Foods that assist consumers to build muscle, lose weight and improve nutrition.
- All-natural, health and superfoods: Superfoods are natural foods considered to be exceptionally good for health. All-natural foods are free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives.
- Fortified and functional food and beverages: Foods that have added ingredients that improve their nutritional value.
Contact Austrade for more information on Australia’s better-for-you foods capabilities, including partnering with the Australian food industry.