Export Markets Development Grants is an eligibility based grant program. You must meet all eligibility criteria to be offered a grant. EMDG Rules 2021 on legislation.gov.au set the rules for the program.
You must read the EMDG Grant Guidelines.
Who is eligible
Eligibility requirements include:
- your turnover for the financial year before the financial year in which the application is made is less than $20 million
- you must be an Australian person as per the EMDG Rules 2021
- you must have an Australian Business Number.
Read Section 4.1 of the guidelines for a complete list of eligibility requirements.
EMDG grant funds must be used for:
- promotional activities to market eligible products in foreign countries, or
- for training activities to develop skills in marketing for this purpose.
To be an eligible product, your product(s) must be of substantially Australian origin and be:
- intellectual property or know-how
More information about eligible products
For more information, read:
We provide the EMDG grant for expenses in one or more of the following categories:
- maintaining a representative in a foreign country
- short trips to a foreign country
- engaging a consultant to do research or promotional activities
- short trips within Australia
- foreign buyer visits
- soliciting for business in a foreign country
- providing free samples
- producing and providing promotional and advertising material
- intellectual property rights
- if you are a Tier 1 applicant, obtaining export readiness training.
The EMDG Guidelines have more information, including about ineligible expenses and designated connections.
How we measure turnover of less than $20 million
Annual turnover is the total ordinary income that you derive in the income year while running your business. If you are an SME exporter at the time you apply for a grant, your turnover for the financial year before the financial year in which the application is made must be less than $20 million.
Applying for Round 2 if you have accepted an agreement in Round 1
You won’t be able to apply for Round 2 if you have an active grant agreement that extends beyond financial year (FY) 2021–22.
Grantees can’t apply for a new EMDG grant while there is more than one year left until the completion of their current agreement. This is as per Part C of the grant agreement. You can only apply for a grant during the final year of your current agreement.
Applying for Round 2 if you haven’t accepted an agreement in Round 1
You can apply in the new round if you:
- have a pending grant agreement application for Round 1, or
- haven’t yet accepted a Round 1 grant agreement.
Note that a grantee can’t enter into multiple grant agreements that have overlapping activity periods. For example, if you have been offered 2 grant agreements from separate rounds that cover FY 2022–23, you can only accept one of them. Once you have accepted one, we will consider the other withdrawn.