According to United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 6: Ensuring availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all, is critical for survival. COVID 19, has reinforced the importance of access to clean water for personal hygiene & control spread of the virus.
According to Niti Ayog, India’s water demand is expected to exceed supply twofold, by 2030. India’s mega cities faces challenges due to limited water availability and inequality. For example, 46% of Mumbai city uses 95% of water, while 54% of the city uses only about 5% of supplied water.
In this context, Austrade in partnership with Australian Water Partnership and Department of Agriculture and Water Resources (DAWE) initiated the Australia – India Water Dialogue (AIWD), a virtual platform for a periodical high level engagement, between Australia & India water professionals.
In December 2020, the dialogue was inaugurated by The Hon. Barry O’Farrell AO, Australian High Commissioner to India and the Joint Secretary – Ministry of Jal Shakti. The first episode of the dialogue focussed on “Dam Safety and Operations Management”.
The second episode of the Australia – India Water Dialogue (AIWD) scheduled on 13 May 2021 will be a round table discussion focussing on “Water Sensitive Urban Design – Opportunities & Challenges”. Water professionals from both the countries, will be sharing their experience in integrated land-use planning and zoning, with specific focus on water. The discussion will help to
- Understand Indian Government’s key water security initiatives like Smart Cities, Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), etc.
- Identify upcoming opportunities in urban water management, including multi-lateral funded projects like Climate Adaptation and Resilience for South Asia (CARE), Karnataka Urban Integrated Water Management project, climate resilient urban water and sanitation in Tamil Nadu, etc.
- Share your experience in water sensitive urban design, with fellow distinguished water professionals
- Learn best practices followed in Integrated Urban Water Management (IUWM), both Australia and India
- Connect with senior water professionals from Australia and India. Collaborate & develop partnerships
- Learn about Australian Government’s latest Australia – India Water Security Initiative (AIWASI). Efforts in providing safe and reliable access to water and sanitation services, especially for women. Improved governance of urban water systems, supporting community resilience to climate change and other water-related shocks.
The dialogue is organised as a part of the Australian Government’s Australia India Business Exchange program.