Each year, Austrade conducts several independent surveys to assess its service delivery and identify areas for improvement.
For more than 20 years, the Service Improvement Study has helped Austrade refine its service offering and adapt to meet the evolving needs of Australian businesses as they expand internationally.
Feedback is also provided by clients and other stakeholders directly as well as through event surveys. For example, formal surveys after business missions help Austrade assess the impact of these missions, including the commercial outcomes that participants expect from these events.
Survey results are published in Austrade’s Annual Report and underpin a number of key performance metrics of the agency.
Service Improvement Study 2017 – Key highlights
In 2017, the Service Improvement Study found that 89 per cent of clients were satisfied with their dealings with Austrade during the past 12 months. Austrade’s net promoter score is +40. Both these results reflect the high level of satisfaction that exists among Austrade clients.
The 2017 survey also collected detailed feedback on Austrade’s performance, including the following results:
- 88 per cent of all clients confirmed commercial outcomes were achieved within 12 months of working with Austrade. For education clients, 91 per cent confirmed a commercial outcome in this same period, and 87 per cent for trade clients.
- 77 per cent of all clients rated the contribution that Austrade made to their international business activities over the past 12 months as either positive, significant or critical. For education clients, this contribution was 81 per cent, and for trade clients 76 per cent.
- 80 per cent of all clients who were charged for Austrade services thought they received value for money.
The survey also helps Austrade profile its clients. Of the roughly 750 clients that responded to the survey last year, around one fifth indicated that they were active in the education sector while almost two-thirds of clients reported that they are currently working internationally. Around 75 per cent of Austrade’s clients are small to medium businesses with less than 200 employees and just under half have an annual turnover of less than $5 million.
Service highs and lows
Delivering high-quality client services is a priority at Austrade. The results of the survey indicate that Austrade generally performs well.
- More than half of Austrade clients indicated that they had experienced instances of ‘Absolutely excellent or outstanding service’ from Austrade in the past 12 months.
- Clients highly value Austrade’s ability to provide contacts in overseas markets and maintain communication with the contacts on the client’s behalf, as well as the practical on-the-ground assistance that Austrade provides in overseas countries.
- A small proportion of clients indicated they had experienced a problem or issue with Austrade in the past 12 months. A key result from the survey is that Austrade needs to be more effective in its client communications. This is both an area of opportunity and challenge for Austrade as it embraces new technologies and online service delivery.
Service improvement recommendations
Each year, Austrade identifies some areas for service improvement. The current areas of focus are:
- Don’t forget the basics
- Understand business needs
- Keep in touch
- Deliver value
- Remember Austrade brand values.
Staff are supported in maintaining high service levels through formal training, mentoring by managers, and on-the-job coaching.
To provide feedback to Austrade at any time, complete the Services feedback form.