Export Market Development Grants
Status: Round 2 is open
Austrade’s Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) program helps Australian businesses grow their exports in international markets. These grants encourage small to medium enterprises market and promote their goods and services globally.
Round 2 dates
- Opened: 6 July 2022, 9.00 am AEST
- Closes: 17 August 2022, 4.00 pm AEST
Eligibility and how to apply
Find out about EMDG eligibility requirements and how to apply for Round 2 of the program.
You may also view the:
Note: if you have any problems accessing the video content, please contact EMDG.
About the program
We administer the government’s Export Market Development Grants Program (EMDG). The program supports Australian exporters. It is helping more than 5000 Australian small and medium enterprises (SMEs) start or expand their export business annually.
EMDG is an eligibility-based, demand-driven program. This means all eligible applicants receive a grant from the available funds. Grants are not based on the maximum grant tier caps. The grant amount depends on the:
- number of eligible applications in the round (referred to as demand)
- available program budget to be shared among all eligible applicants.
Types of grants for exporters
Grants are for eligible promotional activities. Small to medium enterprise (SME) exporters can apply for grants over 8 years in total (but not necessarily consecutively). Grants are available in 3 stages (tiers). Each tier gives a different level of support for SMEs as they grow their export markets. The tiers are:
- Ready to export
- Exporting and expanding
- Exporting, expanding and strategic shift.
You don’t have to start at Tier 1 and progress to Tier 2 and 3. You can apply for any grant tier at any time depending on your business need.
The lengths of these grants reflect the different stages of an exporter’s journey. Grants are also available for representative bodies.
Read more about the 3 tiers and grants for representative bodies.
How to get a grant
The EMDG program is based on eligibility not competition – all eligible applicants receive a grant. The process is:
- Apply for a grant for eligible promotional activities you plan to undertake.
- After all applications are assessed, Austrade offers a grant agreement to each eligible applicant.
- You consider and, if you agree, enter into a grant agreement with Austrade. Grant agreements will provide clarity about the maximum funding amounts per financial year over the term of your grant agreement. Agreements are for 2 or 3 years depending on your tier and EMDG grant history.
- You lodge a milestone report to request and get milestone payments as per your grant agreement. Your grant agreement will state:
When we make grant payments
The timing of payments is set by your grant agreement. Your grant agreement will state when you should provide your annual milestone report.
How we distribute funds
Once all applications have been received and assessed, Austrade will calculate how much funding will be given to all eligible applications. If you are eligible, you will receive a grant agreement with your grant amount.
You must match the dollar value of the grant monies you receive (this means you must spend double the grant amount to receive the grant).
Round 1 applications have closed. Milestone reports for Round 1 grantees are now due for expenditure incurred in 2021-22. You must submit your milestone report by 30 August 2022.
If you have an executed grant agreement under Round 1 of the EMDG Program, you can now complete and submit your first milestone report via the EMDG online portal.
We have finished making upfront payments to all eligible Tier 1 and Representative Body grantees. We will be making payments to Tier 2 and Tier 3 grantees after we have received and assessed their milestone reports.