A tourism operator that provides day tours of Australia’s coastline has received 3 previous EMDG grants. Sales were affected by COVID-19, but the business still generated some export business in the 2020–21 financial year to foreign tourists already in Australia.
Over the 3 years before COVID-19, the business spent $200,000 on online marketing in South East Asia:
- $100,000 in the 2018–19 financial year ($25,000 each on Facebook, Google AdWords, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- $100,000 in the 2019–20 financial year ($25,000 each on Facebook, Google AdWords, LinkedIn, and Instagram)
- nothing was spent in the 2020-21 financial year.
They had the most success with Facebook advertising and believe this is the best way to reach more potential customers for the same spend. With borders likely to reopen soon, they plan to reach a higher number of customers in Southeast Asia by focusing their advertising on Facebook alone.
The business explains in their plan to market that they intend to spend $200,000 again over the next 3 years, but all on Facebook advertising:
- $60,000 in the 2021–22 financial year
- $70,000 in the 2022–23 financial year
- $70,000 in the 2023–24 financial year.
The change in the type of promotional activity as they seek to reach more potential customers satisfies the need for a planned expansion of promotional activities for a Tier 2 grant.