How to apply
Prepare the documents listed below before you apply for an EMDG grant. The checklist below and the 2021-22 EMDG Guidelines will assist you in applying.
EMDG program application form
To apply for EMDG for export promotional activities from 1 July 2021, click on the link below and follow the prompts. Please read the information on this page to assist you in applying.
Apply for EMDG
Prepare to apply
When applying you will need to provide:
- Evidence to show you are eligible for an EMDG grant, including that you are Australian (note: you must have an ABN)
- Evidence to show your product is eligible, including that it is of substantially Australian origin
- Your plan to market
- Your 2020–21 balance sheet and profit and loss statement to prove your turnover is less than $20 million.
Plan to market
You will need to include a plan to market with your application (but representative bodies only seeking funding to provide training are exempt from this requirement). Your plan to market could be:
- a one-page statement
- a strategic roadmap for marketing
- any other internal planning document.
It should explain:
- why you are undertaking the proposed marketing
- what business goals you are seeking to achieve through your marketing
- how you will measure success
- your overall budget for each financial year
- what customers or demographic your marketing is targeting and where they are located
- what marketing activities you will undertake – this can be as detailed or as strategic as you like.
You may choose to use the plan to market template below but are not required to do so.
Checklist for your application
To apply you must:
- check the latest updates here
- have a myGovID
- complete the online grant application form via the Apply for EMDG link below from 9 am AEST 16 August 2021
- provide all the information requested
- address and meet all eligibility criteria – see Eligibility sections 4, 5 and 6 in the 2021-22 EMDG Guidelines
- include all necessary attachments – see How to apply, section 7 in the 2021-22 EMDG Guidelines
- submit your online application by the closing date: 5 pm AEDT on 30 November 2021.
Please also refer to the following documents when preparing your application:
For all applicants
For certain applicants
If you are found eligible for a grant you will be offered a grant agreement. Examples of these agreements are here:
This grant opportunity opens on 9 am AEST, 16 August 2021 and closes at 5 pm AEDT on 30 November 2021, for eligible expenses incurred for promotional activities from 1 July 2021.
Austrade cannot accept incomplete or late applications.
How we assess eligibility
We understand some SME exporters have complex business models and have had to adapt to the changed trading environment. The following examples may help you understand if you are eligible to apply:
The following video transcripts were recorded during a recent webinar for potential applicants:
Further information on management of the EMDG program can be found here:
Please see EMDG news for our latest updates.