Australia-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement
Australia and the United Kingdom (UK) have signed the Australia-UK Free Trade Agreement (A-UKFTA). Entry into force is expected during the course of 2022.
The FTA commitments will strengthen diversification and COVID-19 recovery while driving increased trade in goods and services, facilitating increased two-way investment and creating jobs.
Understanding the A-UKFTA
Check the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) website for the full text of the agreement, outcomes by sector and new tariff schedules.
Highlights of the FTA
Outcomes of the agreement include:
- elimination of tariffs on Australian wine, short and medium-grain rice, honey, nuts, olive oil, most seafood, most fruits and vegetables and most processed foods
- strong outcomes on beef, sheep meat, sugar and dairy with duty-free transitional quotas
- more opportunities for Australian professionals and contractors working in the UK
- enhanced digital trade, including through new rules around data sharing and electronic contracts
- more accessibility to the UK market for financial services
- reciprocal royalty arrangements for eligible artist resales.
Watch a briefing on the outcomes for each sector. The video includes analysis by Austrade’s Senior Trade Commissioner in the UK and DFAT’s Chief FTA Negotiator.
Doing business with the UK
Read our Australia–United Kingdom: Natural trading partners report for more information on our strong trading relationship. The report includes views from UK and Australian industries, and case studies of success stories. Find out more about doing business in the UK.
Exporters are ready to take advantage of the FTA
Read stories from exporters here:
For investors looking for opportunities in Australia
Find oud what Australia can offer you and how Austrade can help unlock those opportunities. Explore our range of investor services.
Read about the experience of UK investors already in the Australian market:
Australian wine exports to the UK: Market Update
Austrade's Economic Insights on the Australia-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement
How we can help you succeed in the UK
We can help Australian companies understand specific market conditions for their products or services. We can also provide a range of in-market and Australian-based services.
We can help you find out how to:
- diversify into the UK market for the first time
- expand your existing exports.
Contact us online or call 13 28 78.