Reimagining the Visitor Economy Expert Panel Report
Charting a course for long-term recovery and sustainable growth
This independent report informed development of THRIVE 2030. THRIVE 2030 is the national strategy for long-term sustainable growth of Australia’s visitor economy.
COVID-19 compounded pre-existing challenges and changed the visitor economy landscape.
This report gives recommendations to:
- rebuild the sector
- ensure sustainable growth for the sector.
Recommendations are under 3 themes:
- Diversify – expand markets to build resilience. Diversify products to improve competitiveness
- Modernise – improve workforce, infrastructure, and business practices. This is to improve the visitor experience and drive demand
- Collaborate – inclusive, regular and coordinated collaboration to achieve success.
The Reimagining the Visitor Economy Expert Panel consulted over 500 stakeholders. The panel received close to 100 submissions on its discussion paper.
A broad range of sources helped inform the work. These include:
Read the List of Organisations Consulted by the Expert Panel (DOCX 870KB).
About the panel
The Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment announced the panel on 30 April 2021:
- The Hon Martin Ferguson AM, former Minister for Tourism (Chair)
- Leanne Coddington, Chief Executive Officer of Tourism and Events Queensland
- Karyn Kent, Chief Executive of StudyAdelaide
- Kate Lamont AM, founder of Lamont’s Wine and Food, Western Australia
- Juan Walker, owner-operator of Walkabout Cultural Adventures, Queensland
Read the THRIVE 2030 Strategy.
Subscribe to Visitor Economy News.