How the program worked
The Business Events Grant program supported the recovery of the business events sector and suppliers affected by COVID-19. Affected suppliers include caterers, accommodation, transport providers and event hosting companies.
Two stages of support
In stage one of the program, event owners applied to have their events included on the Schedule of Approved Events. Applicants needed to show:
- alignment with a priority sector
- benefits to the sector from the event.
In the program’s second stage, delegates and exhibitors applied for grants to receive up to 50% of costs to participate in approved events.
Priority sectors were:
- food and agribusiness
- oil and gas
- medical products
- clean energy
- plastics and waste recycling
- digital technologies
Stage 1 opened on 16 November 2020 and closed 26 February 2021.
Stage 2 opened on 4 January 2021 and closed on 30 March 2021.
Grants between $10,000 and $250,000 were available, with total funding of $56 million.
Events must take place before 31 December 2021. Events rescheduled because of COVID-19 must take place before 30 June 2023.
An industry panel to advise on events in stage 1 comprised:
- Ms Sandra Chipchase, former CEO of Destination NSW and the Melbourne Convention Bureau (Panel Chair)
- Ms Penny Lion, former Executive General Manager, Events, Tourism Australia
- Dr Leo Jago, (OAM) Director of Tourism and Business Events International.